I made these yummy and SUPER easy bars yesterday as a special treat for the hubby.
He’s been working so hard lately and since chocolate is one of his faves too, I decided to change up the original recipe my mom gave me a while back by adding a layer of dark chocolate chips.
Dark chocolate is not as sweet as other chocolate so I think it definitely compliments the other ‘sweeter’ layers of these bars.
Here’s the recipe!
Oatmeal Caramel Bars
A cake like bar with a buttery-oatmeal crust and top with layers of chocolate and caramel in between,
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 12.25 oz caramel topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup melted butter
- 6 oz dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine 1/4 cup flour and caramel topping. Whisk together until thickened. Set aside.
3. Combine flour, oatmeal, baking soda, salt, and melted butter. Mix until crumbly.
4. Press 2/3 of oatmeal crumble mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
5. Pour caramel mixture over crust.
6. Sprinkle chocolate chips over caramel.
7. Sprinkle the remaining oatmeal crumble mixture over chocolate chips.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
9. Let cool completely before cutting.
This recipe makes about 24 bars+ bars depending on how large you cut them, so it is the perfect sweet treat for a bake sale, potluck, or any family gathering. They also freeze well, although I doubt you will have any left to freeze!