Phase Three of our kitchen renovation began a little over a month ago with five objectives in mind.
  1. Remove the cooktop and replace it with a new gas range.
  2. Remove the outdated wall oven and create more storage.
  3. Replace the countertops
  4. Replace the sink and faucet
  5. Install a new backsplash

It seemed like a VERY tall order to complete. Especially since we would have to do all of the work at night after work or on the weekend. And we hoped to have it all complete before our family planned to get together the first weekend in June.

 

I’ll be honest. When we began the first project of removing the cooktop and the cabinet below I was already starting to think we were in WAY over our heads! There were gas lines to work around and new valves to install and we had to take apart the cabinet ever so carefully so we could save the three pull out drawers to reuse for storage.

Patience is not one of my best virtues but I was beginning to realize (as I usually do at this stage of the project)that there was more involved with this phase of the kitchen reno than what we had put down on paper.

Just this project alone- plus installing the new gas range took an entire weekend!

The second project was to get rid of this ancient (and very ugly) monstrosity and it was not an easy task. It weighed a TON and once we removed the inserts it was SUPER gross!

Our plan was to reuse those drawers from the cabinet under the cooktop so we maintained the amount of storage we needed plus add additional storage for things like my stand mixer and canisters so we had more room on our limited counter space.

Creating a Baking station:

Tools/Material used:

Tablesaw    Sander    Drill   Level    Square   Hammer  1″ finish nails   Glue   Tape Measure   #8 1″ screws

Primer/Paint

Drawer Pulls

The width of the space we had was 24″ and the drawers were 30″ so we first needed to make some adjustments. Although it was time-consuming it ended up being a pretty straightforward fix.

 First, we unscrewed the sliders from each side of the drawer. Thankfully the sides were just nailed on so they came off clean. Once removed, we simply measured in 23″ which is what we need for a tight fit and used the table saw to cut off the excess.

Then it was simply gluing and nailing the side back on and reattaching the slider. Again there were three drawers, so we had to do this to each one for a perfect fit.

Next, we had to determine the spacing between each drawer and ensure we had enough room above the drawers to hold my stand mixer and other baking supplies.

To build the shelf to hold the stand mixer and other supplies, Michael used a piece of pine we had leftover from another project. He cut it to size 23″ w x 24″ deep and screwed it in place. I gave the walls and the shelf a good coat of primer and while that dried Michael got started on the drawers.

To finish them off, Michael installed drawers faces by measuring and cutting more pine and screwed them on the front of each drawer from the inside out.

Each drawer got a good sanding down and I applied two coats of primer.

I applied two coats (with a sanding in between) of Behr Ultra White in a Satin finish.

To finish off the drawers I bought these simple pulls for $2.95 at Home Depot.

The last step to complete our baking station was to trim it out so it looked like it was part of the existing cabinetry.

Michael was a bit thrifty for this and reused the trim that we had for the cabinet under the cooktop.

He simply measured and cut to fit and placed a piece of on the edge of the shelf above the first drawer and another between the second and third drawers.

As planned I have plenty of room on the top section of my baking station for my stand mixer, as well as some cutting boards, bowls, and my canisters!

And for the drawers?

The top drawer holds more mixing bowls, the attachments for my mixer, cups, an extra rolling pin and SO much more!

Our pots and pans fill the second and third drawers!

This new baking station is exactly what this kitchen and I needed!

A functional-organized (for now) space and everything is within reach!

The best part of this whole project was the cost!

The drawers were repurposed from an existing cabinet we pulled out.  The pine we had leftover from another a project. The paint was also left over from painting the fronts of all the kitchen cabinets.  So the only cost involved was the drawer pulls!

A whopping $9!!

The project did take almost an entire weekend to complete and then several nights more for priming and paint-but it was all well worth it in the end!

 

Not everyone has space in their kitchen for a baking station. I get that. But I hope that this post inspires you to find some space, no matter how small to do the things you love doing. Whether it’s crafting, gardening or baking like me. Make it yours!

I’ll be back next week to share more of our kitchen renovation!

Wishing you all a FABULOUS weekend!

 

 

One thought on “DIY Baking Station!”

  1. You’re not going to believe this…. We had a similar project in our house remodel. I did something similar and then also put our microwace in there. Love how you turned this into a baking nook. Fantastic idea and adds a nice level of warmth to a space.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Receive the latest DIY tutorials, Recipes, Entertaining Tips and so much more right to your Inbox!

**We respect your privacy and will never send you spam! You may opt out at any time!