I must admit-I had mixed emotions as I drove to my daughter and son in law’s home
 last Sunday morning.

A part of me was nervous.  After all-it’s been a LONG time since this old gal has
 taken care of a three month old for more than an hour or two.  I worried that maybe,
 after all this time, I’d forgotten how to do even the simplest of things-like
 changing a diaper-or feeding a bottle.  And what if my adorable little grandson began
 to fuss?  Would I remember how to calm him?
But I also felt  deeply humbled and honored that Mel and Andy were entrusting their
 precious child with me. Even though it has been MANY years ago-I can still remember
 the first day I dropped Mel off at my mothers, when it was time to go back to work.  At the
 time I thought it was one of the most difficult and heart wrenching moments in my life,
 but I would soon learn that there were even more to come. Day care…Pre-school- Kindergarten-  each time I was forced to hand over the most precious gift I’d been given
 and it always felt as if my heart was being ripped from my chest.  But nothing could
 compare to the day I left Mel at her college dorm!  I swear I cried all the way home 
and for several days thereafter.
Of course I was also, ‘over the moon’ excited to be spending a WHOLE week with the
 kids and my adorable grandson!!
I had it all planned out.
 During the day-I would feed, play, change diapers, and snuggle with my grandson.  And
 while he napped-I’d help the kids out whatever way I could.  Whether it be laundry
 or  dishes-packing for their move, or taking Charlie (their puppy), I was ready to pitch
 in and make this difficult transition a bit easier for both of them.
And at night-well-I planned on doing a little shopping-editing some photo’s-and writing
 my weekly blog posts.  Of course there were emails to catch up on-comments to
 respond to-and blogs I wanted to visit as well.  And last but not least-I wanted to
 spend time with the kids after Max went to bed.
After all- if Mel and Andy can work full time, go to school part time, take care of
 Max, two cats and a dog, as well as keep up a three bedroom home-and STILL
 have energy to cook, bake, do laundry, and sterilize bottles at the end of the day 
this week should be a breeze for me!!!  Right?


Oh sure-the first day was easy. Before Mel left for work-I finished my blog post and 
submitted it. Then diapers were changed-bottles were fed-diapers were changed again 
 and Max and I played-giggled-and snuggled to my hearts content. During his morning nap-
I had time to load the dishwasher, do a load of laundry-and even sweep the floors, before
 he woke up.
  The afternoon was no different.  Diaper changes, feeding, play time, naps-and a few chores.
  Things were going well!  REALLY, REALLY well.
But I have to be honest-by the time Mel and Andy arrived home Monday night
this gal was pooped out- and I can’t deny that my arms and back were a little worn
 for wear-after carrying around twelve pounds all day!
Needless to say- I had no desire (or energy) to go shopping-preferring instead-to chat
 with the kids about their day over dinner-and watch Mel give Max his nightly bath
 before bedtime.
As for the kids-there day was far from over-even after Max was in bed.  There were
 bottles to fill and sterilize-house plans to discuss-meetings to schedule-lunches to make.  The list goes on and on.
I wondered, as I lie in bed that night-‘how on earth can they keep up with it all?’
 But they do.
 And they will.
 Because that’s what parent’s do.

I may not have accomplished all of the things I wanted to do in the remaining days of
 my visit-but I did accomplish one.
I cherished every single moment I had-and when it was time to leave…..
I felt like I had all those years ago, as I drove away…………….

And I realized-even as a grandparent-it doesn’t get any easier letting go.
Blessings and hugs,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.