Even though we are only in the first week of November, it sure is starting to feel like winter here in our neck of the woods.
A hearty bowl of soup is definitely comforting on those cold pre-winter days.
And if they can be whipped up in 30 minutes or less and are still delicious?
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 corn tortilla
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
1. Add olive oil to a Dutch oven, or medium pot-and saute the onion (about 4 minutes). Add garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and saute for 1 minute more.
2. Stir in broth, diced tomatoes, beans, and black pepper
3. Bring to boil. Turn down heat to low, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
4. If using corn-you can add this now.
5. Let soup simmer for another 5 minutes.
Directions for the Tortilla Strips. Add olive oil to a heavy skillet. Heat oil over medium heat. Add the tortilla strips (in batches) and fry until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place on paper towels to drain.
6. Add ½ of the tortilla strips to the soup. Let simmer for 5 more minutes.
Serve soup with the remaining tortilla strips, slices of avocado, lime wedges, shredded cheese (I use Kraft’s Mexican Blend), and sour cream.