If you’ve been following along for awhile, than you know all about my ongoing dining room makeover. When I first started the process, I admit I was a ‘bit’ overwhelmed with just how much work this room would require.  Initially, I thought it would be mostly cosmetic. 

A little bit of paint here and there-DONE!

Not so much.

There is much more work left to do, but today I am VERY excited to share the makeover I did on our built in cabinet!

Here is what it looked like prior to the make-over (Sorry about the AWFUL photo! It was taken pre-blogging days). But at least you can see the horrific ugliness of this piece!  Wood, wood, and more wood-and the worst part- the back is paneling!  Yes, you heard me right. Whoever built this monstrosity lined the back with a VERY cheap paneling, that I have despised since I first moved in.

Over the years, I’ve tried to cover it up by packing the shelves with as much stuff as possible, but even that didn’t hide how truly ugly this piece was.

The built in definitely needed a good coat of paint, (or three)!

 But before I could do that, the built in required  A LOT of sanding, and that meant taking down shelves and removing hardware.  So, with hubby’s power tools in hand….I set about getting this project done.

Sanding the built ins was a bit more time consuming than other pieces I’ve done.  Each little cubby required sanding on both sides and top and bottom.  But once it was done, I was ready to get painting!

The built ins required three coats of paint/primer and two coats of poly acrylic, to ensure no chipping-but the outcome was well worth it.
The best part is……no more ugly paneling!  So what did I cover it up with? 

This product  truly is “MAGIC!”  I have worked with contact paper-I have also worked with wallpaper-this is a combination of both- but WITHOUT the hassle!  I chose it because, unlike wallpaper and contact paper, this stuff can be removed easily.  I liked that, because if for some reason, I ever get tired of the look, I can change it out without by simply pulling it off.  No scraping- no steaming.  



Of course-I did have to measure and cut (Oh goodness-you all know I can’t cut a straight line-even when there are guidelines!)  But, I am proud to say-this time I didn’t do so bad.

Once the paneling was gone-it was onto the hardware-which proved to be the easiest part of this whole project-and yet, made a WORLD of difference!



Dining Room Built ins


Even though this project ended up being a LOT more work than I thought, I truly LOVE how it turned out!
***Update-I have since removed the contact paper and painted the paneling white.

I’ll be linking up with:

52 Mantel , From my front porch to yours, Craftberry Bush, Imparting Grace , Sweet Haute . The Brambleberry Cottage , Jann Olson, and Katherine’s Corner.

So click on over and check out all the creative projects going on.  I promise you won’t be disappointed!!!

8 thoughts on “Changes in the Dining Room!”

  1. Oh my, what a wonderful makeover! You really did a fabulous job! Looks so clean and fresh and perfect combo with your bakers rack. Happy to be a new follower. Thanks for sharing it with SYC. I will be featuring you this week.

  2. You transformed that piece! Great idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

    When I first moved out of my parent's house I rented a little house and it was b.a.d. news. I covered the whole bathroom with Contact paper. It works great!

  3. Thank you, Stacey! I've used contact paper, in the past, for other projects-but this stuff was AMAZING! The greatest part is-it can be removed as easily as it was put up! ๐Ÿ™‚

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.