When the weather is SUPER DUPER hot outside, (and it is)the last thing I want to do is turn on my oven to cook a meal!
So this past week I’ve been challenging myself to come up with quick-easy and most importantly no oven required meals!
Today’s recipe is just such a meal!
Even better-this Chicken and Rice Salad is easy on the budget, and PACKED with summer time flavor!
I’m telling ya’ folks. This salad is OVER THE TOP yummy- and oh so refreshing!
Like a Pina-Colada (without the alcohol) on a HOT summer day-refreshing!
I found the original recipe years ago, in one of my many cookbooks.
Of course, like many recipes, I have made a few changes a long the way.
But one thing about this light-creamy salad hasn’t changed.
It’s still one of my favorite summer salads!
So if you’re looking for a ‘no fuss’-‘no oven required’ meal-look no further.
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice (1 3/4 cup cooked) **You can also use wild rice.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup cream of coconut ** see tip below for substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons peeled and diced cantaloupe
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup pineapple tidbits (drained)**can also use fresh pineapple diced
- 2 cups cooked chicken (diced)**I grilled 2 large chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Drain any excess liquid and allow to cool. In a large mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, cream of coconut (or substitute) and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Stir in rice. Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve in chilled cantaloupe halves or over a bed of lettuce.
- Tip: Substitute for cream of coconut.
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Combine milk and coconut in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat (stirring constantly) until milk begins to slightly bubble. Lower heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes-stirring constantly. Remove from heat and strain. Allow to cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to use. **Note consistency will not be as thick as cream coconut, but absorbs well in rice mixture.
Blessings and hugs,