Summer is finally here, and I don’t know about you, but for us, that means PLENTY of family gatherings, back yard barbecues, and potlucks!
We’re talking hotdogs, hamburgers, potato salad…and let’s not forget-those YUMMY desserts that quickly make us all forget that we are watching our diet.
Sure, there is always fresh fruit-and of course, veggies to nibble on, but who in their right mind can pass up chocolate cake over veggies?
Okay-maybe you all have more willpower than me.
But all I have to say is-if you put a carrot stick and a piece of cake in front of me (especially if it is chocolate)-and tell me to choose-I’m going for the cake folks!
Of course, not all chocolate cakes are BAD for you. Take this Chocolate Angel Food Cake I whipped up for a get together with friends last weekend.
Yes, it LOOKS SUPER naughty-but the truth is-it’s just a plain old boxed angel food cake! No major calories there, right?
And if you wanted to add a little fruit-be my guest!
I froze a few fresh strawberries that I picked up at a local berry farm. Have you ever dipped a frozen strawberry in warm chocolate? Oh my…enough said!
Speaking of warm chocolate….did I mention I drizzled warm chocolate ganache over my chocolate food cake?
I know…it’s SUPER DUPER naughty-but hey, sometimes you just have to go for it.
And the next day…well, you just might have to walk an extra few miles.
But it’s worth it. It’s SOOOOOO worth it!
Here is the recipe!
- 1 (14.5-16oz) package angel food cake mix
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/4 cup water(or according to package instructions)
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- For Cake: Combine cake mix and cocoa in a large mixing bowl. Add water. Beat for 30 minutes on low, until just combined. Beat for 1 minute more on medium speed. Pour batter into an un-greased tube pan. Bake according to package instructions.
- Remove pan from oven and tip upside over a glass bottle to cool. Allow to cool completely.
- To remove cake from pan-gently run a knife around side and center of cake to release. Tip cake pan over a serving plate and gently tap bottom.
- For Ganache: Add cream to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium low heat. Remove from heat. Meanwhile, coarsely chop chocolate. Add chocolate and salt to cream. DO NOT stir. Allow to sit for 10 minutes, then whisk until smooth and shiny.
- Drizzle ganache over cake and serve with fresh berries.
I would definitely recommend this scrumptious cake for any summer gathering!
That is if you can get it out the door without your kids, significant other-or YOU, stealing a nibble!
What is you favorite dish to bring to a potluck?
Wishing you a FABULOUS weekend-filled with fun, family, friends, and chocolate cake!
Blessings and hugs,