I know. I know. I’m posting yet, ANOTHER lemon recipe!
I promise this will be the last one-at least for the month of March!:)
But I just had to share mom’s lemon bars with you all, because they are definitely one of my favorite lemon treats!
And I swear every time I bite into one, I’m reminded of Easter as a child.
Back then-after the chores were down and the cows were milked, our whole family would get dressed up in our Sunday best and head out to church. After service, we would go to one of my dad’s aunt’s, for Easter dinner.
All the ladies in the family would usually bring a dish to pass, and you could always count on someone (usually mom) bringing a big pan of lemon bars.
I’m not sure why-but Easter was usually the only time mom would make these bars-so you can bet I wasn’t the only one who looked forward to biting into that buttery crust and oh so yummy lemon filling.
Unfortunately, by the time we headed home, mom’s pan would be empty, and I would have to wait an entire year until I could enjoy these melt in your mouth bars!
Years later, this lemon bar recipe was one of the first I asked mom for.
Needless to say-once I got my hands on her recipe, those bars weren’t just made for Easter anymore!
But of course, they will be making an appearance at our Easter brunch this year. That is if I don’t eat the whole pan before Sunday!
Here’s the recipe! Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- **confectioner sugar for sifting
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a 9'x13' pan.
- Mix ingredients for crust. Press into pan, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add lemon juice.
- Fold in flour mixture. Mix until incorporated.
- Pour filling mixture over the crust evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Sift confectioner sugar over bars.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Blessings and hugs,