It’s suppose to be 50 degrees today, here in our neck of the woods!!!
Sadly, good ole’ Mother nature is just teasing us.
Tomorrow it will be back in the 30’s.
But even though winter is far from over….I have a little ‘spring’ in my step, thanks to one very magical fruit!
Yes, folks…I’m talking lemons.
There’s just something about those bright-yellow orbs that can add a bit of sunshine to even the gloomiest of winter days!
If you’ve been following the blog for some time-than you’re probably aware that I have a teeny weeny obsession with all things lemon.
I LOVE to squeeze some in water, and my afternoon tea…drizzle it over broiled fish, or add it to many savory dishes.
And don’t even get me started on all those sweet treats I adore! They simply wouldn’t be so scrumptiously delicious, if not for that bit of tang -only a lemon can provide.
But I have to tell you-my latest lemon obsession has a little something to do with this moist and oh so YUMMY Lemon Bread!
I found the recipe in one of my cook book’s awhile back. Illa Mae-the sweet lady who shared the recipe, refers to it as the Dayton’s version. Which, since I’m from the great state of Minnesota (and I assume Illa Mae is too), that this recipe has something to do with the Dayton’s department store, (Minneapolis), which is no longer in business.
Regardless, I made a batch yesterday-and let’s just say…thank goodness it makes two loaves!
It’s truly out of this world, I tell you!
Soft-moist-buttery bread, with just a hint of lemon….
And then a drizzle of warm-sugary-lemon glaze.
I mean…what’s not to love?
Hmm…I have a feeling that last loaf won’t be around much longer!
Here’s the recipe! Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.
- Add milk alternately with flour mixture.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- Pour batter into two greased 4x8x2 bread pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes-or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile-in a small saucepan, combine sugar and lemon juice for glaze. Warm over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove bread from oven and immediately spoon glaze over top.
- Let loaves cool completely before removing from pans.
- Freezes well.
Don’t forget to pin-and have an amazing weekend, ya’ all!
I’ll be linking up to these amazing parties, so stop on over and be inspired!
I should be mopping the floor
The Dedicated House
Dwelling the Heart of your Home
Lou Lou Girls
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Show and TellInspire me Monday’s
Between Naps on the Porch
Something to talk about
Blessings and hugs,