As a teen, I was a ‘head in the clouds’-hopeless romantic. I believed in fairy tale romances, love at first sight, and happily ever after.
Of course, I’m older(not much) and wiser now. I realize Prince Charming is just a character in a Disney movie-and that it takes more to melt my heart than just a look.
But I do still believe in happily ever afters.
And I believe in love.
Not the ‘perfect’ kind that you see on the Hallmark channel.
Because love isn’t perfect.
Love is simple.
Love is the little things….
The every day things.
Like when your ever so thoughtful hubby offers to do the tall stack of dirty dishes from dinner, because he knows you’ve had a rough day.
Or when the last thing you want to do is laugh, but he makes it happen, because he’s kind of magic that way.
Love is knowing what your sweetie wants, even before they do.
Love is chocolate cake and cherry pie filling.
A little bit tart-and a whole lot of sweet.
I know I don’t say it near enough-but I truly feel blessed to have my hubby. He’s one of the most compassionate, understanding, and hilarious men that I have ever known.
No, he wasn’t the knight in shining armor that I day dreamed about as a young girl (that was Erik Estrada). And no-we didn’t fall head over heels at first sight (in fact-we didn’t even like each other for a LONG time after we met)!
But after almost five years of marriage-he’s still my best friend, most trusted confidant, and the love of my life. And more importantly-he shares the same DEEP adoration for chocolate…..and cherries that I do.
So I thought I would make hubby something special this Valentines day. Something from my heart…..something homemade.
And I ask you? What could be more special than a decadent chocolate cake filled with more chocolate-plump sweet cherries- and covered with even MORE chocolate? Nothing I tell you. Nothing!
Okay-well there is something. It’s a bundt cake-and even though it was SUPER easy to make-those special folks in your life will think you spent hours making it! But don’t worry. It will be our secret!
What does love mean to you this Valentine’s day?
I’ll be back tomorrow with more homemade Valentines inspiration-for those ‘last minute’ gifts ideas!
Blessings and hugs,
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour bundt pan well. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients for cake. Mix well. Add water, eggs, oil and vanilla. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Stir in half of the cherry filling. Pour half of the batter into bundt pan. Spoon remaining cherry filling and 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips over the batter. Pour remaining batter over filling and chips. Bake in oven for 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes clean. Allow to cake to cool completely before removing from pan.
- For Glaze: Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir-and heat for another 10 seconds, or until chocolate is warm and melted. Remove from microwave and stir in cream. Mix well until smooth.
- Pour glaze over the top of cake.
- I like to sprinkle powdered sugar over the cake before glazing.
I’ll be linking up to these amazing parties-so stop on over and be inspired!