It appears that winter has finally arrived in our neck of the woods. Temps are expected to drop into the single digits this weekend, and as I write this post, a wintry mix of sleet and snow has caused many of our local schools to close or be delayed. The good news is, we’ve had plenty of time to prepare for the bad weather.
For hubby, that means getting out the shovels, stocking up on salt for slick sidewalks, and winterizing our vehicles.
For me, it means making sure our pantry is stocked, and filling up our freezer with plenty of soup stock, and comfort foods, for the long winter month ahead!
And really folks, what could be more comforting on a cold winters night, then biting into a moist-chocolaty cupcake covered with a creamy peanut butter frosting? Nothing, I tell you. Absolutely NOTHING! At least that is what hubby claims!
Yes, that’s right. My hubby has a love affair with all things chocolate-and whether it’s a handful of chocolate chips, a slice of cake, or a candy bar-he finds great comfort in devouring each sweet bite!
Which is why I whipped up a batch of these oh so decadent chocolate cupcakes yesterday! Not only are they SUPER yummy and easy to make-I can freeze them, so they are right at his fingertips whenever he gets a hankering for chocolate!
The original recipe is actually for a cake-but several years ago, I needed to bring a sweet treat to work, so I switched things up and made cupcakes with it instead! They were such a BIG hit, that I’ve been making them ever since!
Although hubby may argue that chocolate doesn’t need anything to make it taste better- I would have to disagree! Peanut butter and chocolate….well, they were just meant to be together!
What do you think? Are you a fan of plain old chocolate-or does the combination of chocolate and peanut butter make your mouth water?
I hope you enjoy this recipe! It makes a big batch-and would be a perfect Valentine’s treat for your sweetie!
Blessings and hugs,
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soda
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 5 Tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk (I use whole milk or half and half)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Shaved dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. Sift sugar, flour, cocoa and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add sour cream, butter and eggs. Dissolve soda in water. Add to mixture and beat until smooth. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile-prepare frosting. Combine butter and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl, and beat until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and beat for 1 minute.
- Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with shavings from a bar of dark chocolate.
- Cupcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months.