Summer and brats go hand in hand here in our neck of the woods!
Around here-these juicy sausages can be found at practically every local festival-county fair,
or backyard barbecue and everyone has their own ‘special’ recipe for making them.
And more importantly-everyone has their own special way of eating them!
Some like to top their bratwurst with sauerkraut(yuck-not me)!
Some like lots of onion. (that’s me)
Others like just mustard.
And others…just ketchup-please.
The secret to my best ever brats is that I grill them first.
Once they are almost done, I take them off the grill and dunk them into a big crock of my ‘special sauce.’
I hope you enjoy these brats as much as we do!
Here’s the recipe!
- 1 dozen bratwurst
- 1 12 oz bottle of dark beer
- 1 sweet onion (sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- Water to cover
- 12 brats
- Heat beer, onion, ketchup, barbecue sauce and mustard in a slow cooker.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat (325). Place bratwurst on grill. Cook on one side for 3-5 minutes-and turn over-(being careful not to poke or burn brat). Allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes-or until juice begins to seep from brat. Remove immediately! Brats will not be fully cooked-just seared on the outside.
- Place brats into crock pot and add water until brats are completely covered. Simmer for 1-2 hours on high, or 4-6 hours on low. Serve in bratwurst buns, with sauerkraut, ketchup, mustard and onions.