Even though we are only in the first week of November, it sure is starting to feel like winter here in our neck of the woods.
A hearty bowl of soup is definitely comforting on those cold pre-winter days.
And if they can be whipped up in 30 minutes or less and are still delicious?
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
If you want to check out more of my recipes-you can find them on the From my kitchen page!
And if you’d like to try this quick and easy-yet, FLAVOR FILLED Chicken Tortilla soup, here’s the recipe!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I use roasted chicken)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans of diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas cut into ¼” strips
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn (optional)
- 1. Add olive oil to a Dutch oven, or medium pot-and saute the onion (about 4 minutes). Add garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and saute for 1 minute more.
- 2. Stir in broth, diced tomatoes, beans, and black pepper
- 3. Bring to boil. Turn down heat to low, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4. If using corn-you can add this now.
- 5. Let soup simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Directions for the Tortilla Strips. Add olive oil to a heavy skillet. Heat oil over medium heat. Add the tortilla strips (in batches) and fry until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place on paper towels to drain.
- 6. Add ½ of the tortilla strips to soup. Let simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve soup with the remaining tortilla strips, slices of avocado, lime wedges, shredded cheese (I use Kraft’s Mexican Blend),and sour cream.