I have a confession to make.
Planning meals is one of my least favorite things to do.
That sounds totally weird for someone who LOVES to cook to say.
But cooking is one thing. Planning….UGH!
Since I usually shop for supplies on Saturday or one night in the week, Sunday ends up being the day I sit down and plan the meals for the following week.
I buy certain items in bulk whenever they are on sale, and meat is no exception.
This past week our local grocery store had a sale on chicken and I decided it was a good time to stock up.
And of course, chicken was the main ingredient for this week’s menu!
The recipe I’m sharing today is one that I’m sure you are all familiar with. Who hasn’t had a Chicken and Broccoli casserole, sometime in their life?
Well, I have and let me tell you, some of them can be pretty…..B-O-R-I-N-G, and worse-BLAND!
Which is why I took this basic recipe-and KICKED it up a bit.
Here is how I did it:
First, I shredded up some roasted chicken (3 cups) and placed it into a buttered-9×13 pan.
Next-I blanched a small head of broccoli-(about 2 cups).
While that was cooking-I placed 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, and 1 Tablespoon of butter into a large skillet. Once hot-I added diced onion and celery, and let it saute for about 5 minutes.
Then came my favorite part-making the cream sauce for this yummy casserole. I used the base recipe that most chicken casseroles use- sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and cream of mushroom soup-but here is where I kicked it up a bit. I also added chicken broth, dried sage, garlic powder, thyme and basil! Now it’s time to put it all together-layer by delicious layer! The first layer is the chicken-second comes the onion, celery,broccoli, and a can of water chestnuts. The third is the creamy sauce.
And the fourth….is the crunchy topping.
This is where I get to release some of the day’s tension, by pounding a sleeve and half of Ritz crackers into crumbs!!!
I mix those up with some YUMMY melted butter-and it’s time for the oven…..
When the casserole comes out of the oven- it is a pan of bubbly deliciousness and the topping is nice and golden brown!
I love serving this hearty casserole over top of a mound of buttered noodles the best-but you can also use white or wild rice!
Obviously, one of the reason’s this chicken dish has become one of my favorites, is because of how creamy it is. But there’s something to be said for the earthy flavor of the seasonings, the crunchiness of the veggies, and the buttery topping, that makes every bite of this dish delightful to my taste buds!
If you’re looking to ‘kick’ up YOUR dinner tonight-you can find this recipe at the end of my post.
I’ll be sharing this one over at these amazing parties today-so stop on over and be inspired!
And don’t forget-The Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop is #100 tonight (live at 7 EST), and it’s going to be one heck of a celebration, so come on back!!!!
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 3 cups cooked-diced chicken
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 small head of broccoli (about 2 cups) (blanched)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts
- 2 stalks of celery(diced)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter + 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 sleeves of Ritz crackers
- Preheat oven to 350. Add 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil to a medium skillet.Add onion and celery-and saute for 5 minutes. Place chicken in a buttered 9x13 pan. Top with broccoli, onion, celery, and water chestnuts. In a large bowl-combine soups, broth, and sour cream. Add seasonings. Pour over veggies. Place Ritz crackers in a plastic baggie, and crush. Place in a small bowl and add melted butter, stirring until combined. Sprinkle mixture on top of casserole. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes, or until topping is golden brown. Serve over buttered noodles or rice.
Please follow and like us: