Hubby and I are all about creating new traditions.
Like, say, having a special night of the week devoted to our favorite food.
But not just ANY store-bought, frozen pizza.
It has to be HOMEMADE!
Right down to the most important part of the pizza in my book.
Last night we made a Pineapple Pepperoni pizza.
I know. A bit of a strange combination but I didn’t have any ham so we used the next best thing 🙂
Here’s what we did.
First- The Crust:
We placed water, yeast, and sugar, into the bowl of my stand mixer and let them dissolve until the mixture was creamy (about 10 min).
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded provolone
- 2/3 cup- 1 cup of sauce (See recipe link in post) or use favorite store bought
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup thin sliced red onion
- In a large mixing bowl, combine water, sugar and yeast. Mix well. Let sit for 10 minutes until mixture becomes cloudy. Add flour, (1/2 cup at a time) to mixture until dough forms a ball. Add oil and salt. Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes. (If you do not have a stand mixture you will have to knead dough on a well floured surface for same time.) Cover dough and place in a warm location for at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 425. When dough has risen to double it's size, remove from mixing bowl and place on a greased pizza pan. Spread dough to desired thinness. Pour sauce over the dough. Sprinkle cheese over sauce. Cover with remaining toppings. Bake for 20-25 minutes. (This may take longer if crust is thicker.)
- Tip: If crust is on the thick side, you can bake the crust only for 5 minutes before adding toppings.